Exercise physiology

With physical injuries common in the Defence Force, some people who have ongoing health impacts as a result of an injury may need the specialised help of a trained exercise physiologist (EP). An EP provides clinical exercise interventions for people with a broad range of health conditions. This can help an individual lower the onset and/or severity of chronic disease, assist in injury rehabilitation and help to improve quality of life factors regardless of your age, fitness level or health conditions.

What services do exercise physiologists provide?

Exercise physiologists (EP) offer a range of evidence-based exercise services including, but not limited to:

  • Physical rehabilitation
  • Hydrotherapy
  • Health education
  • General lifestyle modification advice
  • Assessments for functional capacity and movement, fitness and goal setting
  • Exercise program prescription
  • Pre and post-surgery rehabilitation
  • Group fitness activities for social connection and motivation
  • Movement for mental health
  • Workplace assessments.

When should I see an exercise physiologist?

There are a variety of reasons why you, or someone you know, could benefit from seeing an EP. 

  • You have been diagnosed with a chronic disease
  • You have been diagnosed with, or have symptoms of, anxiety, PTSD or depression
  • You have cardiovascular, metabolic or pulmonary disease
  • You have been diagnosed with cancer
  • You are pre or post joint surgery
  • You are in chronic pain and unsure how to manage it
  • You would like improvements in your quality of life.

You may choose to self-refer or be referred to an EP through your local GP as part of a multidisciplinary care team arrangement. In some cases, EP cases can be fully, or part funded, by Medicare and Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA).

Where to get help

If you’re a veteran or family member and want to find out more about seeing an exercise physiologist at Mates4Mates, get in touch on 1300 4 MATES (62 837) for a confidential chat.

Alternatively, talk to a trusted General Practitioner about your health concerns. 

Other helpful resources