Arts Therapy Program for Children
The Mates4Mates Arts Therapy Program for Children provides meaningful and creative group-based sessions for young people of current and ex-serving Defence Force members.
What is Arts Therapy?
Arts Therapy is a nurturing way for young people to connect in a safe and fun therapeutic setting, to increase their self-awareness and overall wellbeing through creative activities. The program may help improve communication skills and coping strategies for young people who find it difficult to talk about their feelings due to developmental, cognitive, or other barriers/conditions.
Other benefits for young people may include:
- Increased self-awareness and overall wellbeing
- Development of new skills
- Increased connection to self-identity through creative arts-making processes
- Development of social connections and opportunities for shared understanding and learning within a group context
- Improved communication skills and coping strategies as a result of managing challenging content that may arise during the program
- Embracing their own unique experiences while exploring what it means to be a child of service men and women in Australia
Arts Therapy is an evidence-based allied health practice which can complement other support services already being received by children.
Who is Mates4Mates?
Mates4Mates is one of Australia’s leading veteran charities, actively changing the lives of current and ex-serving Australian Defence Force members and their families impacted by service.
Mates4Mates provides a way forward for those experiencing service-related physical injuries, mental health issues, and isolation. From psychological and physical rehabilitation services to wellbeing programs and social connection activities – our services are proven to make a real difference.
Throughout the year, the Arts Therapy Program for Children is run at different schools each term, however, one-on-one Arts Therapy appointments are available for children, teenagers, and adults at the Mates4Mates Brisbane Family Recovery Centre in Milton. To make an appointment, please call 1300 4 MATES (62 837).
Bray Park State School
The program will be held after school hours, from 3:00pm – 4:00pm, every Tuesday starting 25 October – 29 November. It will be run by Papernook Arts Therapy and Wellness’ qualified practitioner, Jasmine Wright.
Expressions of interest for this program are currently closed.
If you are interested in upcoming programs, please don't hesitate to be in contact. Send your enquiry through to firstname.lastname@example.org